Thursday, June 13, 2013

Being a Memorable Boss

Image from: http://www.inc.com/jeff-haden/8-ways-to-be-memorable-boss.html

The saying rightfully goes: "People don't leave companies. They leave managers." That's true. Finding a great boss/manager/leader is like discovering a 10 carat diamond. Few people leave behind a 10 carat diamond even if the surrounding conditions are downright atrocious.

Many of my mentees manage other people and so are "bosses" themselves. They often consult me on a variety of people management situations. I'm always happy to help and guide them based on a set of leadership principles.

I recently came across a fantastic article entitled "8 Ways to Be a Truly Memorable Boss" by Jeff Haden. As a leader myself I found the article to cover the same principles I share, strive to achieve and hope to impart. It is well written and succinct. The principles he describes are listed below but you should go ahead and read the entire article especially if you manage others:

  1. They believe the unbelievable.
  2. They see opportunity in instability and uncertainty.
  3. They wear their emotions on their sleeves.
  4. They protect others from the bus.
  5. They’ve been there, done that, and still do that.
  6. They lead by permission, not authority.
  7. They embrace a larger purpose.
  8. They take real risks, not fake risks.
The areas that most resonate with me and that have been discussed in this blog are #2, #4, #6 (go see  "Manage as if you have no authority" ) and #8.

A final thought - there's another popular saying about the difference between a leader and a manager which goes: "Managers get things done right. Leaders get the right things done." 

I say that a "memorable boss" does both!

No comments: