Friday, January 21, 2011

Be A "Yes I Did" person!

By Wakalani (Flickr)

One of the top attributes any leader wants exhibited by folks on their team is certainly a "Yes I Can" one. This proactive, positive and action-oriented phrase sums up what is essentially music to any manager's ear. It was also used very effectively in the last United States Presidential Election ("Yes We Can"). We all should be and surround ourselves with "Can Do", "Why Not?", "Let's Roll" kind of people.

But I want to go one further on the "Yes I Can" attitude and do better. I think the ultimate attitude to have is "Yes I Did". The most valuable folks aren't the ones with the "yes I can" attitude alone. The really prized people are the ones who are self-motivated and modest and go off to produce the deliverable. Then they come back and say "Yes I Did" only after succeeding. They don't necessarily boldly announce their intentions for action. They ACT. It is the actualization of "Yes I Can" that in the end is required for success!

So go be "Yes I Did" people and tell your mentees as well to do the same. Then come back and tell me you DID! :)

No comments: