Saturday, June 19, 2010

In the beginning....

Like so many before me I too wish to add my voice to the caravan of voices moving ever forward in the blogosphere...

I am blessed with many passions: I love music, chocolate, technology, gardening and baking. But among those passions there is one that allows me to connect with people more deeply than all the others - and that's mentoring. I have been extremely lucky in the course of my career to have had several distinguished, talented, empathetic, thoughtful and caring mentors. Mentors can have a massive impact on someone's life simply through interaction and conversation. While no single conversation will necessarily change a person's life any conversation has that potential especially one with the intent of moving someone forwards towards a goal.

First off, I am not a "certified" mentor. I think there are a few too many "certifications" out there these days. I'm sure many have positive intent but many are there to "create a need and fill it". This blog is simply my observations and some helpful resources if you or someone you know wants to read about and possibly discuss aspects of mentoring.

Secondly the term "mentoring" comes with it a connotation of a one-way discourse. Mentee tells mentor his/her problems and Mentor comes up with a perfect solution. End session. Repeat.

Not at all!

As one of my mentors told me when we first started our series of conversations it's absolutely a 2-way street. While one person may have more experience than another and thus be the designated mentor I believe everyone can learn something from everyone else. Many times I've found myself answering my Mentor's questions and giving advice. That only deepens the relationship and allows for growth for both parties involved.

As a side note, you'll notice in my writing that I assume the Mentor/Mentee relationship is a 1:1 activity. I do believe that the most successful ones are done in a 1:1 fashion - only two people. Three's a crowd in many things - so too in mentoring. If there were to be 3 or more people the number of relationships that would have to be managed exponentially rises and complicates the business of a free form conversation and exchange of ideas and feelings. Unless someone out there disagrees - I'd love to hear it!

Again, my intent with this blog is to provide experience, anecdotes, resources and possibly a place for online discussions around Mentoring. It is such a valuable activity and so rewarding for both the Mentor and Mentee that I find excitement in sharing this passion with you.

No comments: